Monday, November 19, 2012

Part 24





Greza walked out of the small church in a daze. The Divine Lights had spoken directly to her.  She had prayed to them in the hope that they were listening, but she had never imagined something of this magnitude. 
“There you are!”  Burana said.  “I was about to gather a search party to find you.  We got to hurry.  Wait… you alright, Grez?”
“I’m alright.”
“You look a little dazed.”
“We should get going.”
They began walking back toward the tavern where they were to meet with the others.  Greza stayed silent the whole time, contemplating what had just occurred.  The Divine Lights had spoken to her through the priest. 
The Promised Victor.  
Erinad had been right.  His last words to her were that he had protected her because she was destined for great things.  She would never have imagined this though. 
The Promised Victor.  The Lost Victor.  She had to find him.  How?  Why her?  Perhaps she had faith, but nothing like the prophets and saints of old.  Nothing like the heroes from the histories and stories. 
“You sure you’re alright?  What happened in there?”  Burana asked. 
“I’m fine,” Greza said. 
Burana clearly didn’t believe her but didn’t say anything more. 
They arrived at the tavern to find the others were already there.  They cheered when they entered and called out their names.  There were jokes and laughter but Greza barely heard any of it. 
Then she heard her name. 
“Huh?”
“Nice scarf, Grez,” Ox said.   
“Oh, thanks.”
“You alright?”  Ox asked.
“I don’t feel too well.  I think I’ll had back to camp.”
Without explaining or answering their questions she got up and left.  She walked out the city gate and down the road to camp alone.  The words of the prayer were etched into her mind and they repeated over and over again. 
She had to find the Lost Victor. 
What were the signs of the Victor? 
The Victor was surrounded by other prophesized people.  There was the Princess that the Victor would marry.  There was the Witness that would record his acts and would proclaim to the world that he was indeed the Victor.  There was the Defender that would save the Victor’s life.  There were the Bull and Raven, the Victor’s companions and…
Bull and Raven.
Duke Verin had a Minotaur and a woman with raven hair as constant companions.  She had seen the bull and raven the first time she laid eyes on them. 
Duke Verin was the Lost Victor. 
That couldn’t be. 
Where was the Duke from?  Was he the original one or did the Path raise up another to keep the Promise?   
 She walked back into camp but didn’t see any familiar faces.  She found a camp fire still burning and sat down, not caring to which unit it belonged to. 
The fire warmed her hands as she stared into it, thinking. 
“If it isn’t the scrawny Ork girl,” a male voice said from behind her. 
She turned to see Captain Richkurk standing there with a beaming smile. 
“I was wondering if you ever made it,” he said.  “May I sit?”
“Of course,” she said. 
He sat down next to her and prodded the fire. 
“You made it.  How do you like life in the Company so far?”
“I like it a great deal.”
“Glad to hear it.”  Then he paused to look at her.  “You look like someone lost in thought.  What’s bothering you?”
Was it that obvious?
“Why did you give me the coin on the road?”
He laughed. 
“I don’t know.  I guess I thought you deserved it.  You showed spirit.” 
“Was that all?”  She asked. 
“Well…I don’t know.  I guess I just had a hunch about you.”
A hunch.  The Divine Lights had pushed him. 
“Without that coin I doubt I would have been accepted,” she said. 
“That would have been a waste.”
The Divine Lights had spoken to Erinad and told him to protect her.  The Divine Lights guided her path to Ekonia.  The Lights put Richkurk in her path and prompted him to give her the coin.  Everything had guided her to this place and time. 
“Captain, may I ask a question?”
“You look like someone full of questions.  Ask away.”
“What can you tell me of Duke Verin?  Where did he come from?  What of his childhood?”
“We don’t like to discuss the Duke’s past.”
“Please.”
He looked into her eyes and then nodded.  His thick, bearded face that had seen countless battles had the look of kindness. 
“I love the Duke like a son and I ask that you do not repeat what I’m about to tell you.”  She quickly nodded in agreement.  “The Duke was born a slave.  No one knows who his parents were.  His masters belonged to the Order of Nyrulth and they were cruel, terrible people.  He grew up and planned his escape.  With the help of his fellow slaves, the Minotaur and the sorceress, he killed his masters and led a slave uprising.  I was one of those slaves.”
“He was a slave?”
“He was. Does this disappoint you?”
“I was a slave.”
“Ah, then you understand better than most.”
She kicked a log with her boot to get the unburnt part into the flames. 
“No one knows where he came from?”
“Not even him.”  Then he put his hand on her shoulder.  “I can tell there’s something on your mind.  What is it?”
“I suppose I’m contemplating my place in the universe.”
“Aren’t we all, but that wasn’t much of an answer.”
“It’s the only answer I can give at this time.”
“Greza, it’s obvious that you’re intelligent and educated.  What position do you hold?”
“Targeteer.”
“Targeteer?  What a waste! What fool put you there?”
“They think me a dumb brute.”
“Why?”
“I don’t speak much and when I do I usually don’t show myself.”
“You’re used to hiding.”
She nodded. 
“How would you like to transfer to the Scout and Ranger unit?”
“I would like that very much, but would the accept me?”
“I should say so, I’m their captain.” 
“I’ll put in the request tomorrow.” 
“Thank you, sir.”
He stood up and stretched. 
“I’ll speak with your officer tomorrow,” he said.  He turned and walked away but then stopped and turned back.  “I got a good feeling about you, Greza.” 
He smiled and walked off, leaving her there with even more to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment