Saturday, December 15, 2012

Part 37



When Greza woke up in the morning she felt the warm sun on her face and she stretched out.  It felt good to be alive.  That wasn’t something she could say very often.  She let out a little moan of pleasure as she finished stretching and opened her eyes. 
Sitting on chair at the foot of her bed was Duke Verin.  He was sitting there as still as a block of stone, reading a book.  He looked up as she sat up, drawing her sheets around her shoulders. 
“My Duke, I didn’t know you were coming.”
“You’re the only one that calls me ‘my duke.’ Why is that?”
“I…well…”
He waved her off with a slight smile. 
“We’ve heard a great deal about you, little reader.” 
“Why did you have me healed?”
“Should we not have?”
“But I’m just one soldier of no consequence.”
He closed his book with his finger to mark the spot and looked at her with those examining eyes of his.  She had to look away to keep the feeling that he could see her soul. 
“Do you think so little of yourself?”  He asked.
“I know what I am, My Duke.”
“And what are?”
“An ugly, escaped slave that’s only good for killing.”
His brows knitted in the middle and he cocked his head. 
“And that is what you see?”  He asked.
“It is what the world tells me.”
He put his book down on her bed and steepled his hands on his chest as he thought. 
Verin was the sort of man that thought about what he said.  He didn’t say vain, mundane things. 
“That wound looked fairly recent.  What happened?”  He asked. 
She thought about how to answer him and decided that the truth was the best.  Perhaps this was the time to tell him. 
“I encountered four men at the second crossroads.  They were worshipers of Nyrulth and they were there waiting for me.”
He raised an eyebrow. 
“Nyrulth cultists were there waiting for you?”
“Yes, My Duke.  They knew I have something important to do.”
“How so?”
“Do you know about the Lost Victor?”
Her heart was beating faster than during a battle.  Her mouth felt dry.  This was the time.  She was finally fulfilling her duty to the Divine Lights. 
“I do.”
“I’ve been told that the Lost Victor is alive and that I’m here to find him.”
He leaned forward.
“Told by who?”
“The Divine Lights.”
“If it was anyone else, I’d laugh.  But I know you to be a serious minded woman with more intelligence than a palace full of nobles.”
“You believe me?”
“Not at all.”
Everything froze around her.  He didn’t believe?
“But I know who it is,” she said. 
“Who?”
She looked at him directly in the eyes.  He looked back for a few seconds and then smiled. 
“Greza, I don’t know what to do with you.  I’ve never understood religious types.  You’re one of the smartest people I’ve met and I don’t just mean your education.  You have that fire behind your eyes that tells me that what you see isn’t enough.  You’re always hungering to learn more.  You’re a wolf among the sheep, Greza.  For that, I’ll respect you’re belief but you can’t expect me to believe I’m some misplaced hero.” 
“You have a Bull and a Raven by your side.”
“Is that the total of your evidence?”
“Then men tried to kill me because they thought I was right.” 
He held up his hands. 
“I have all fingers.”
“Yes, I haven’t figured out that one yet.” 
“Tell me when you do.  I’m curious to hear what you have to say.” 
“Thank you for not mocking me, My Duke.”
“I would never mock you.”
“Thank you all the same.”
He stood up and walked to a window. 
“Do you know how my company started?”  He asked.
“I don’t.”
“A slave rebellion.  Me, Tempest and Alethia were slaves at a manor.”
“I hate them.”
“Masters,” he said.  It wasn’t a question.  He knew what she meant because he had been through it all as well. 
“Yes.”
Then he suddenly turned towards her. 
“Greza, I’m assigning you and Onata as my personal messengers.”
“My Duke?”
“I’ve seen how you act under pressure and you’re one of the best,” he said in a formal tone.  “I know you’re intelligent and educated enough to parley with nobles and generals.  I’ll send Richkurk the order immediately, though I think he may be surprised by it.”
“Are you sure?”
“Do you doubt my judgment or your ability?”
“My ability.”
He gave a brief smile.
“Hurry and regain your strength.”
He nodded and left her room, leaving his book on her bed. 
She picked it up and looked at it.  It was a history of a slave rebellion in the Empire.  It was one she hadn’t heard of so she opened it and began reading.  She read it the rest of the day until Onata came in with dinner.  She continued with her story of how they won the campaign. 
Destroying the siege engines had slowed them down enough for new allies to be made. The battle that had seen Greza captured was a widely celebrated victory that boosted Duke Verin’s reputation among the kingdoms. 
After Onata left for the night she remained awake to think.  She had almost too much to think about. 
Verin hadn’t believed her.  She hadn’t known what to expect, but she hadn’t expected to be so thoroughly rejected.   He had to be made to see.  If the Lost Victor couldn’t be made to see then no one else could be expected to see either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment