Sunday, January 20, 2013

Part 50




Greza couldn’t believe how many tents filled the moors around the fortress.  She had thought Lord Decaron’s army was an impressive sight.  Three more mercenary armies had joined them.  It was the largest army she had ever seen. 
Their camp fires spread out in all directions and she stood atop the wall looking over the sight. 
She couldn’t sleep so she didn’t want to waste her time lying in bed.  The guards knew who she was and left her in peace. 
Her hood was up to keep the wind off her face.  The days were getting warmer and soon they’d be on the march, muddy roads or not. 
“Couldn’t sleep?”  Verin’s voice said from behind her. 
She startled and spun around.  He stood there with his giant fur coat looking out over the numberless camp fires.  He had a slight smile on his mouth. 
“My Duke?  My I ask a question?”
“My Duke.  You’re the only one that says that.”
“Would you like me to stop?”
“Not at all.  What’s your question?”
“Do you hate the empire?”
He rested his elbows on the battlements and his eyes seemed to lose focus. 
“I hate what it does.  Greza, I’m not out to destroy the Empire, I just want to force it to change.”
“Ending slavery.”
“And more.  Equality.”
“Equality?”
“I want a land where everyone is equal under the law and no one is superior to another.”
“Is that possible?”
“It’s happened before.”
She hadn’t read anything about a place like that. 
“When?” She asked.
“Early in the First Empire.”
The First Empire was nothing more that legends.  She hadn’t paid much attention to it because it wasn’t true history.
“You believe those stories about a freedom loving Republic, then,” she asked.
“I do.”
“It sounds nice.” 
“It will be.”
She adjusted her coat’s hood and straightened her gloves.  Some cold air was getting through somewhere.
“Are we going to win?”  She asked.
“I don’t know, Greza.”
He was always so confident about it and it was kind of shocking to hear him voice his doubt. 
“What if we lose?”
“Then I’ll lose everything and hopefully you can find better employment.”
“I don’t think this is something to joke about.”
He sighed. 
“Of course it isn’t,” he said. “I just don’t know what else to do.  Greza, if I was wrong, would you tell me?”
“I would.”
“You’re honest, Greza.  I don’t want you to guard me in silence.  I picked you to guard more than my physical body.”
“What more then, my Duke?”
“My soul.”
She nodded in understanding.  He needed someone to keep him honest and on the right path and to tell him when he was being foolish. 
“You trust a religious fanatic to tell you when you’re wrong?”
“Sure, you’re a little crazy, but aren’t we all?”
He said it with that half smile that was particular to him when he was joking. 
She couldn’t help but smile back.
“I suppose we are, my Duke.”
“Then I can count on you for brutal honesty?”
“Always.  Though you might come to regret this.”
“Most likely, but if I fail then I won’t live long enough to suffer it.”
“Please don’t speak like that, my Duke.”
“Tempest accuses me of being a fatalistic.”
“Then don’t be.”
He fell into silence and she could tell that he was thinking.  She didn’t want to disturb his thoughts so she fell silent as well. 
“Does this Victor prophecy mention anything about a war against the Empire?”
“No, just that you’ll save the world from the gravest threat since the Gods War of legend.” 
“Does that mean I’ll win?”
“If anyone can, it’s you.”
He looked out over the armies one more time and then turned around. 
“We march in a week’s time, Greza.  After years of planning it seems like such an impossibly short amount of time.  One week and then I head out to meet my destiny.  If it was just me, I wouldn’t be worried, but I’m dragging thousands of people with me.”
“They all march for their own reasons.  It’s their choice, my Duke.”
He nodded and then began walking away. 
“Walk with me, Greza.  If you can’t sleep, you might as well keep me company.”
She hurried to catch up. 
“My Duke, may I ask another question?”
“You don’t have to ask to ask, just ask.”
“Why do you believe in me?”
“Why not?”
“That’s not an answer.”
“I see myself in you.”
She fell silent in order to think about his answer.
Verin led her to his study where the war maps were laid out.  Charts with numbers marking their supplies, weapons and men were hanging on the walls in a seemingly chaotic manner. 
He sat down in the chair in front of the map table and stared at it. 
“I’ve been studying these maps for years.  I have them burned into my memory yet I can’t help but look at them.  It’s like I expect to see some flash of insight that will direct me to a miraculous victory.”
“No miracles, my Duke, just careful application of the basic tactics and strategies you already know.”
“Basic tactics and strategies,” he repeated.  “Nothing too crazy.  Focus on the essentials.”
He spoke in a distant voice as if he was talking to someone while in a trance. 
“You can win this war, my Duke.  I have faith in you.”
He smiled and picked up a bottle of wine. 
“That’s at least one of us.”
He passed her a plate of cheese and she sliced her off a piece. 
“One thing I like about being free, the food is much better,” Greza said. 
“You like that?  It’s particular to Ekonia.”
“As a gladiator I got more meat than the worker slaves, but none of it was what you could call good.”
“Now I have to ask you: do you hate the Empire?  We’re going there in a few weeks.  You might see places you know.”
“I don’t hate them.  I just want to see it all end.  Hatred only serves to cause more suffering.”
“Is that from your Path of Light?”
“It is, but I also believe it.”
“Do you ever doubt?”
She immediately thought of the Princess and how there was no part in the prophecy for her.  She was the last true believer it would seem, yet she wasn’t to be remembered or rewarded.  The only thing she’d earn was to see the man she loved fall into the arms of a more worthy woman.  
“I do,” she said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment