Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Part 64




 Greza followed Onata, Tempest, Alethia and Verin into his personal tent. She closed the flaps behind her. Verin went to his table that was covered in maps, reports and a large two-handed sword. He picked up a jug of wine and pored himself a glass.
“What did I just agree to?” He asked after taking a drink.
“I’m not sure,” Tempest said.
“I believe you just agreed to become the heir to an empire you despise,” Alethia said.
“Desperation,” Greza said.
“It’s the Enemy from the prophecy, Verin. Accept it,” Alethia said.
“Not you too. I get enough of that from Greza.”
“Maybe they were right about this,” Tempest said.
Verin lowered his glass and cocked his head at Tempest.
“They got you believing?”
Tempest shook his head.
“I don’t know about all that Victor garbage, but they might have been right about the Enemy. The timing is correct and if we don’t stop it, sounds like they’ll destroy the Empire.”
“A new race,” Alethia said. “I wonder who they are.”
“Doesn’t matter. We have to destroy them,” Verin said.
“And that leads me to the next matter,” Tempest said. “You’ve just agreed to fight for the Empire against an army of armored horse-men of two million soldiers.  Not a million, but two. What are we supposed to do?”
“I think fleeing might be called for,” Alethia said.
“Greza? What do you think?”
Greza had to clear her throat before answering. She still wasn’t used to being asked her opinion.
“I think we can win. It won’t be easy, but I know we can.”
“Because your religion says so?”
“No, because they’ve already shown their weakness,” Greza said.
“Weakness? In what way?” Onata asked.
Greza looked to the others but they seemed as baffled as Onata.
“They’re stripping anything edible from the countryside. Think of it. Two million horse-men. How much food do they need on a daily basis. They crossed the vast wasteland to get here, so they either have one extremely long supply train or they have a limited and shrinking supply with them.”
“We starve them,” Verin said with a growing smile.
“Yes, I thought this was what you meant when you said you had a plan,” Greza said.
“No, I was thinking something very different.”
“Starve them, eh?” Tempest said.
“At what sacrifice?” Alethia asked.
“It won’t be pleasant,” Greza said.
“Verin?” Tempest asked.
“We’ll have to evacuate every farm and town in their path: basically all of the western provinces.”
“That’s impossible,” Tempest said.
“Impossible or not, we have to do it and put everything we leave behind to the torch. We can’t leave anything for them.”
“You’re talking about destroying half the Empire.”
“To save the whole, yes. Once the Enemy is gone we can rebuild.”
“It won’t be that easy,” Alethia said.
“No, it won’t be,” Verin said. “They’ll come to battle sooner or later and we’ll have to face them.”
“And you have a plan for this, correct?” Tempest asked.
“I believe so.”
They spent most of the night making plans and discussing strategy. When Tempest and Alethia went off to bed she was about to leave with Onata.
“Greza, could you stay a while?” Verin asked.
Immediately she began to plan out her apologies for refusing his advances. Was this the conversation she had been dreading? Had she lost his confidence?
She nodded to Onata to go on without her and she turned around to face him.
“Of course, my Duke.”
He held out a glass of wine for her and she shook her head.
“I figured now would be a good time to start drinking,” he said.
“Now would be the worst time.”
“Probably true. Come, sit.”
He sat down in his cushioned chair and leaned back. She took the simpler chair by his side.
“Grez, you really believe that all this is your prophecy coming to life.”
“It’s plain to see.”
“And I’m destined to save the Empire and start a dynasty, right?”
“That is correct.”
“What if I don’t want to?”
“Don’t want to what?”
“I don’t want to be an emperor. I don’t want some forced marriage to same vapid royal slut. I already have most of what I want. If I can free the slaves then I’ll be more than satisfied.”
“Then this is your chance.”
“But I don’t like the price.”
“We don’t always like the role required of us. You don’t think I have other desires?”
“You? I thought you wanted this?”
Greza smiled and shook her head.
“I want to serve the Divine Lights, that is true, but I didn’t want this,” she said and held up her battered gauntlets. “I don’t want to hurt people but it seems that I’m unusually good at it and the Lights are making use of my gift. Who am I to argue?”
“Then what would you want?”
“A quiet life away from all this. I just want to be left alone where I can read and maybe find new talents. Maybe start a family like the one I never had.”
He put his glass on the table and leaned forward.
“Really? I would never have guessed. I thought you loved all this.”
“Sometimes, but it isn’t what I’d ever chose. It was chosen for me.”
“I had no idea.”
“And you, my Duke?  What is it you want?”
“Safety for my people. I’d do anything to make sure everyone has enough to eat and a roof over their heads. I’d make everyone equal. No one would hold the lash over another again. They’ll regret making me heir. If I become emperor I’ll tear down their high palaces and use the rubble to make houses for the poor. I’d kick them all out into the streets and let them beg.”
Greza watched his face as he spoke. He wasn’t joking or exaggerating. He was saying exactly what was on his mind.
“Wouldn’t that only cause more suffering?”
“They deserve to suffer, Grez. All their lives for countless generations they grew fat off the labor of our brothers. They have to be punished.”
She had to stop this before it grew into the prophesized tyrant.
“Many don’t know any better. They were born into this life and told from birth that this is how things are.”
“They have eyes, Grez. Don’t try to defend them. You of all people know what cruelties they’re capable of.”
“I do, but that’s because they haven’t been taught. Teach them, don’t destroy them.”
“Justice. I’ll teach them about justice. Maybe after they learn their lessons I’ll show some mercy.” He chuckled and shook his head. “Maybe.  Yeah, I’ll save their Empire, but I’ll destroy it another way.”
“Verin! Revenge is beneath you. This is your chance to create the peaceful society the world needs.”
“I’d love to believe you, Grez, but I don’t see people accepting a bunch of good will. I’ll have to be harsh to change anything.”
She left his tent more saddened than confused. This wasn’t the Verin she loved. This was something else. Had he been hiding this bitterness beneath his smiles or was he just voices dark thoughts that he’d regret in the morning?
She didn’t know the answer and the possibilities kept her awake most of the night.
In the morning Verin met with the Imperial generals and they all began to make plans. They showed Verin the movements of the Enemy horde. They were slow and methodical with occasional bursts of shocking speed and savagery.
Their only chance to prepare the evacuations and burnings was to slow the Enemy down.
“You really think we’ll win?” Onata whispered.
“I do. But I think the cost will be very painful.”
“How bad?”
“Very bad.”

No comments:

Post a Comment